There Was No Sakura Left, and That’s Perfectly Fine

Last June I went to one of the place that I have in my bucket list: Japan. It was a 5-day trip, but 5 days were enough for me to do what I need to do. Or not. I was planning to come back to that confusing-but-friendly country right after I landed in Jakarta. HAHA.

This trip was an impulsive one. I bought the tickets with the intention to watch Coldplay concert, which was held on June 12th, but the ticket selling was a little bit different with what I expected. Strange may be a better word to describe it. People who want to buy the tickets have to put their name to what seems to be a lottery then the names that get the tickets will be announced 3 days after. The only ticket selling in my country that I know following this kind of rule is only the tickets to watch JKT48 show in their theatre. Well, now that I think of it, I should’ve seen that coming. Long story short, I didn’t get the Coldplay tickets and lost all my motivation to go. But I went anyway, with all the tickets and visa and JR Pass and itinerary–which I didn’t really care about.

It was Monday morning when I flew from Jakarta, and I landed in Osaka on Monday midnight. I used Air Asia and that was quite a decent flight. Yay for Air Asia X! It was 8-hour flight, 2 hours to Kuala Lumpur (love the new airport), and 6 hours from Kuala Lumpur to Osaka.



I don’t know what it takes to have a jetlag, but 8 hours may be not that hard for me to handle because when I stepped in Kansai Airport, I didn’t feel like leaving home. At all. Seriously. It felt like I just arrived in–well, let’s say, Bandung. I slept in airport that night–super safe and decent. Really. They have these benches covered in clean upholstery all over the airport so people can sleep worry-free about bed bugs and stuff. I think Osaka is a Muslim friendly city. Kansai Airport has 4 floors, and there’s praying room on 3rd floor. They even provide brochures especially for Muslim visitors, telling about halal food we can eat. And about safety, I can see koban (police) office 200 m from where I sleep, and they come to check us once, telling us to be careful, and their gestures were so nice. When the dawn came, I took a bath in airport lounge. By paying 500 yen you get everything you need for taking a bath, even a hair dryer, and a coin for 15-minute water. It’s more than enough time. The bathrooms were kind of strange, simple and sophisticated at once. They were made of plastic, even the floor was plastic, and when I put the coin into the slot, the timer counted down. I was like, “Okay, technology, I’m coming!”.

After that, a little bit shivering due to the slightly cold weather, I use my JR Pass to take shinkansen train to Kyoto, my first destination. Passing through the quiet Osaka with a super fast train, that’s new. And exciting. And also confusing, considering it was 9 AM but I rarely saw people, let alone cars, walking on the narrow streets. It was so different from where I came from.


Quiet Osaka

Write to you later,



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s